Study: Measuring the Cost (Week 11)

Wow, how are we already in week 11 of the course? I feel like it has gone so quickly. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this course and contemplating everything I have learned from this experience. I can say it has already, and most importantly, allowed me to evaluate the values I want to base my life on. That is a wonderful thing.

The most meaningful reading this week for me was, "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness: A Cautionary Tale". I appreciated the differentiation that the article made about happiness, satisfaction, and fulfillment. Happiness is largely genetically inherited, satisfaction is about relationships, and fulfillment is contributing something meaningful in the service of others. It is so easy to chase temporary pleasure and entertainment, but in the end, they really don't cause satisfaction or long-term happiness.

I also really loved this quote and was able to finally apply it personally to my life and come up with a concrete solution.

"The surest path to a calling is to string together a series of flow experiences, each which builds on itself to a point where you learn to master certain skills. Add related skills to your repertoire and you become a master of a discipline. Weaving flow experiences together builds a foundation for mastery. Individuals who have mastered a skill or area attract those who need them to solve bigger problems. And the world seeks a master for the problems he or she can solve. Along the way, challenges and relationships combine to change you.

"If flow leads to the mastery of a discipline, it is likely to attract an opportunity that ignites a sense of mission. This is where gifts and desire can combine to become a calling."

This notion of flow really worked for me! It finally helped me to zero in on what I'm good at and how I could use that to create a product/service. I'm still in the process of researching how reasonable it would be and the specifics, but I'm loved thinking of something that is so personally aligned with what I value.

Comments

Popular Posts