Dream Big Dreams (Week 10)

This was a rewarding week due to the entrepreneur interview and reflecting on my goals and future. I've been enjoying reading, "A Field Guide For The Hero's Journey" and also re-reading,
'The Challenge to Become" which is one of my all-time favorite and most influential talks.

From the lesson material, I enjoyed the following thoughts:

From Marissa Mayer, I liked her thought that the "license to do whatever they want that really ultimately fuels a huge amount of creativity and a huge amount of innovation." Just as this is true for employees at Google, I believe this is also true for anyone I may come in contact with. Also, I think that for my children this will prove to be a valuable concept when raising them. Not that I will let them do whatever they want, but to remember that freedom can fuel creative ideas and ultimately growth.

In "The Heart of Entrepreneurship" I enjoyed learning about external factors that can bring about new opportunities and that should not be feared. These include technology, consumer economics, social values, political action, and regulatory standards. These are also good to notice when thinking about and starting my own business. Entrepreneurs look for needs but also a complimentary social situation. It also mentioned that "Successful risk takers have the confidence to assume that the missing elements of the pattern will take shape as they expect." This is a hard truth for me to swallow, but it is essential for me to start a business. I will have to rely on faith and not assume that the whole path will be in view from the beginning. I will probably only be given a couple steps ahead of me at a time. Lastly, I enjoyed the quote that, "By endlessly studying how to reduce risk, instead of trying to deal with it, administrative companies slow the decision making." Risk really can't be avoided and should be met head-on instead of trying to swerve around it.

Comments

Popular Posts